2010-01-07

Yeah, right...

18F2580 has 32kB of flash.
TCP/IP-stack requires 44kB. And that is without CAN-stuff.

Fortunately 18F2685 is pin-compatible with 18F2580 and it has 96kB of program memory.
I somehow managed to compile the sw and even the hw is working like a charm...

So now I have a working ethernet connection that responds to ping and sends UDP packets!

I could almost say "YeeHaw!". Almost. There is still lots to do.

My girlfriend came to see why I was so excited and her comment was: "Lots of blinking lights and no smoke, it is working?"...

Next I need to integrate CAN module to ethernet module but there is only one (just one?) problem: my working CAN module is coded with CCS C-compiler and ethernet module is coded with Microchip's C-compiler...
Either way I have to port one module to another system. If I do whole thing with CCS, it will be a huge task because TCP-module is about 50x the size of my CAN-module.
If I do it the other way, I have wasted $200 for CCS C-compiler I am not even using.

Let's see how it goes...

No comments: