2010-02-24

...and then back to actual simulator project.

I realised this project is getting quite big and complicated. I would need some kind of system to keep track on software changes.

Yes. I realised this after some unfortunate mishaps causing me to loose about week worth of coding. Doh!

I recommissioned one old PC I found in my "pile'o'junk" (well... actually there is several old PCs but this was the best of them) to a new career for version controlling and general storage.
Local Fry's electronics had 1TB Seagate disks for $89 so now it has plenty of space.

Took me whole weekend + two nights to get it up and running and now I have fully functioning Git-version control server with nightly backups to file server.
No more lost code here (I hope).

Server specs:
2.4GHz Pentium 4 from years past.
3GB RAM
1TB+80GB() Seagate Sata-disks
Scythe fans (extremely quiet)
Ubuntu 9.10 Linux OS
Git version control system
Samba providing file shares for Windblows-machines.
Webmin web-based system administration.

For those who are installing Git-server: when initialising repository (git --bare init), it does not give write permission to git-group. This causes "insufficient rights"-error message when pushing code to repo.
To fix this: cd to repository directory and do 'chmod -R g+ws *' and 'git repo-config core.sharedRepository true'

No comments: