2010-02-04

Still no pcbs....

Instrument control board pcbs shipped 27-jan and since 28-jan they have been just sitting in New York. What is going on USPS?

Picture of the board I am waiting for:




In the meanwhile I have completed the breadboard test circuit for ethernet-can-transceiver:


This circuit has everything (I need) included: ethernet, can, serial (-to-usb) and bunch I/Os available.

While protopcbs were manufactured (still waiting for them to arrive!) I concentrated to coding and testing the connection between X-Plane 9 and eth-cab-transceiver.
Now X-Planes telemetry data can be seen on Linux-PCs (RS-232 to eth-CAN-transceiver) terminal window.

Project status as of today (03 january 2010):

Ethernet-can-transceiver:
- HW: Circuit completed on breadboard
- SW/Done: Ethernet , serial port (will be used to connect LCD later on),
- SW/ToDo: CAN-module testing with instrument control board.
- Schematics almost drawn

Endevice (instrument control board)
- HW: Waiting for prototype pcbs to arrive (Hello USPS!)
- SW/Done: Servo control , digital IO
- SW/ToDo: Stepper motor control, AD-conversion

Mechanics:
- Gauges: Design for own gauges ongoing
- ???

Overall design:
- TBD: Where to put the "brain"? Should instruments be smart or just dummy "tell'n'show"-devices? Should eth-CAN-transceiver be smart or just dummy data link?

Something to think for the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Halibatsuiba,

Where to put the "brain"?

My feeling is that the instrument itself should know how to handle the aviation data. If you send an airspeed or an altitude or whatever to an instrument, the ETH-CAN gateway should not know how the instrument is implemented.

Anyway, I think you are doing a great job!

Regards,
Marc.